Monday, December 7, 2015

My Journey: Out With the Old & In With the New

This may not completely seem journey related, but I assure you that emotional and mental health play an important role in your physical health!

So, a few months back my husband and I made a big holiday decision….we bought a new Family Christmas Tree! The Kmart near us was closing and had things at a HUGE discount. We were lucky enough to get a tree at something like 80% off. The tree has all the "bells and whistles" as they say - its pre lit, has color AND white lights, easy set up, remote control for all the fancy settings, several light options like flashing/solid/dimming & more, spinning base, 7.5 ft, full tree. It was quite the bargain.

I know many of you are probably thinking this isn't really a "BIG" decision, but you see for me this was a HUGE decision. Our previous tree, the tree we have used since our married life began…well, it was my childhood tree. The tree the holds so many wonderful memories from both my childhood and adulthood. We really have needed a new tree for a few years now but I was trying so hard to hold on to my childhood tree. Every year I say it will be our last year with the tree, but then I struggle to actually let it go. A few years back my parents fully retired leaving the state they had and raised their six children. It wasn't something that any of us had a huge conversation about, but I know the day my parents sold our home - the home we all grew up in and created so many memories - was a difficult day for us all. I would imagine none more than my parents, but I think we all mourned the end of an era in a way on that day. 

I have felt since the sale of my parents house an extra clinging connection to this Christmas tree. I felt it was the last tangible thing that held so many memories from my childhood and growing up. I realized something though, or came to accept something I've known all along I should say. I accepted that those memories and good times will always be with me, the ones of Christmases with my parents and siblings growing up and the ones my husband and I have made over the past decade of our life together. The memories are in my heart and head, not in the tree.

This year with mixed emotions we put up our new tree and I will prepare to say goodbye to the old. Goodbye to the tree, but never to the wonderful memories created around it. I am so grateful to God and to my wonderful parents for providing us with those wonderful memories. I will cherish them always as I create NEW cherished memories with my children around our NEW tree! Here's to a new tree with new memories and the same love to surround them both for many, MANY Christmases to come!

From my family to yours,
Have a Very Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment