Wednesday, November 25, 2015

30 Days of Thanks Challenge

Like so many I took the opportunity in the month of November to complete a 30 Days of Thanks Challenge. Initially I started this challenge on my Facebook page but in hopes to reach and inspire more people, I decided to make a blog post containing a compilation of my Days of Thanks Challenge. I hope they inspire you and remind you how awesome life truly is despite the many difficulties we each face, keep reading. I tried to think a bit outside of the box and was amazed at what poured from my heart.

Introduction:
In a day and age where there is so much negativity thrown in our faces on a daily basis it can be difficult to stay positive and to see the many blessing that life offers every day. The blessings are there if you take the time to look. Even on the hardest days and in the darkest moments there is light to be found. In an effort to get people to slow down, take notice, and show appreciation for the good around us I am starting a 30 Days of Thanks Challenge. Please share this picture each day and add something you are thankful for that goes with the word for that day. Think outside the box, and remember there are no wrong answers just answer from your heart!






DAY 1: Time
Today I am thankful for the time I get to spend with my family. Especially with my Julie. I am so grateful to be home with her and be able to soak in every second of her life at this young age. I am thankful for my family time and crave it when we are not together.
Now its your turn. Using the theme of "Time" what are you thankful for today. Maybe its time alone time, time with your parents, time to curl up and read a good book, time to reflect, or time with God.

DAY 2: Family
Today I am thankful for, what most would expect me to say I'm sure, my husband and three beautiful girls. But I am also thankful for having grown up in a "large" family. Being one of six children was an adventure and I am so grateful for the unique relationships I have with each of my siblings. Love to ALL my family!

Day 3: Smile/Joy
Today's theme is giving thanks for something that makes you smile or brings you joy.
I have, for as long as I can remember, always been the type of person that thrives on helping others. A big reasons I knew I wanted to be a teacher at such a young age. In those moments of helping someone; be it my children, my husband, a friend, or a stranger, my heart is instantly filled with joy & I feel I'm fulfilling His purpose for me here on Earth!
This is the main reason I started sharing my new journey. To inspire & help others. I've already had so many moments of joy as I read people's posts & private messages sharing with me the joy or help they've gotten by reading my journey. I hope I can continue to help others as I truly do believe that is His purpose for me!
What makes you smile; brings you joy?

DAY 4: Beauty
I thought long and hard for this one. There is so much beauty all around me everyday that I am grateful for especially my beautiful daughters. But I wanted to reach deeper inside for this one today, so I am going to share a little story that few people know. Its very personal & was a difficult time in our life.
This story is a little lengthy but I PROMISE it is powerful and worth a read!
In 2006 I was blessed in marrying my best friend, my soul mate. Even way before we were married we KNEW we would have a family. In 2008 we were so overjoyed after a long time of trying to find that we were finally pregnant. Words could never express our joy.
But the plans and hopes and dreams we had for that child were not meant to be. We sadly lost our first child at the end of our first trimester in September 2008. The hurt and pain was like no other. The higher you climber, the harder you fall! We were beyond heartbroken and so lost. Lost in life, lost in faith.
You may or may not believe in "signs" but they are something I believe have played an important role throughout my life. We had several rose bushes we had planted in front of our house. They were blooming nicely until one day I noticed all the beautiful buds had died and shriveled up. That was the day we lost our angel. That "sign" stuck with me in the back of my mind.
Several months of healing passed and in the spring of 2009, once again we were blessed with a pregnancy. Due to some bad care with our angel we had switched OBs. We hoped this new one would be a great match. Not only was he NOT a great match, he ended up being cold and careless with his care. He diagnosed us early on at first visit with a Blighted Ovum and said we should have surgery to "remove what was there." This was NOT an option for me and I left his office. I was sad and confused and WAY MORE than displeased with my care.
I knew in my heart that there was indeed a baby growing inside me. I knew I would birth this baby and hold them in my arms. I knew it will all my being. The day we got this news was Good Friday. As we sat in church humbled and broken before God, we begged him for a sign that things would be ok. As we looked up through the stain glass window we sat under a light glowed through right at Mary's womb. The sign we prayed for was indeed Beautiful and brought tears to our eyes.
Fast forward to the following Thursday, through some help of an amazing dr. I knew from back home on LI, I was able to get a second ultrasound done. This would confirm my hope, or our worst fears. The morning we left for the ultrasound the rose bushes that had been dormant all winter had ONE BEAUTIFUL ROSE on it. We knew that was another sign for us, that life was indeed growing inside me. On that day we did indeed get the best news possible when we not only saw our baby but her STRONG heartbeat! And our beautiful Gabriella Rose (now you all know where her middle name came from) has blessed our lives every single day since!!!!
This was such a trying time for Frank and I but throughout it all we were surrounded by so much beauty! Those signs of beauty are embedded in my mind forever. His mercies & beauty are everywhere if you only open your eyes to see them!!!
If you made it this far, Thank You for reading and sharing such an important story to me. What Beautiful things are you thankful for in your life?

Day 5: Laughter
Most people who don't know me very well think that I am a very serious person. Although being serious is a big side of me, those who know me most intimately know that I love to smile and laugh.
Nobody knows this better than my other half. Frank, especially on a week like this week, I am so grateful for all the moments of laughter we share. I feel so close to you in those moments and feel that nobody knows that side of me quite like you!
It has been a very challenging 5 years for us and it seems that with all the sadness and loss we've endured in such a short time that it can be hard to find moments of laughter. But I think that only makes me appreciate those brief moments all that much more. I do hope for a life filled with MANY more moments of laughter with you. And Im not going to lie, I pray those moments become more plentiful and closer together. But for now I am just grateful and want to soak up ever brief second. Even those few seconds this morning in-between the seriousness, stress, and tears. Those brief few seconds laughing with you are what will get me through this day. The beacon of light that will keep me on my path and not let me lose my way!
I love you and I thank God for you and our laughter!!!!
What moments of laughter are you most thankful for?

DAY 6: Nature
Today I am thankful for Rainbows!
Rainbows, to me, are one of natures most beautiful creations. Not just for the outward physical beauty of them, but for the symbolism of what they hold.
If you look up symbolism of rainbows you will find words such as Life, Divinity, Hope, Promise, Creation, Potential, Harmony, Transformation, and Ascension.
The Biblical reference to God's promise captures my heart. But the symbol of the rainbow has become to mean so much more to me.
Those who have lost a baby (whether in utero, stillborn, or in infancy) use the term Rainbow Baby for a child born after the loss. It is understood that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of the storm. Nor does the appearance of a rainbow mean the storm has never happened, or the aftermath is not still being deeply felt. It means that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness.
I shared a story the other day of our first angel. We lost a second angel the year before Julie was born. Every life and every loss is unique and cant be compared to any other. But because this loss came at an already difficult time in my life it was near paralyzing for me. I was in such a dark place; this made Julie's life shine that much more bright for me.
I had my mom put a saying on her baby blanket..."After every storm there is a rainbow of hope. Here I am!" At the time I had NO idea just how much we would need this beautiful rainbow. She was born ONE year ago TODAY, on her Tata's birthday (Frank's Dad). What an honor to share your birthday with such a special man. Little did we know at the time that he would be gone from this Earth less than three weeks later. It has been such a difficult loss for our family and one we still battle with every single day. He is so very missed in so many ways. But every single day since his passing (November 25, 2014) I look at our Rainbow - the light amongst the darkness and am so grateful for the joy she brings. She reminds me so much of him and I feel his spirit around us. We love you Tata, forever and ever. Watch over all of us, especially your Rainbow and keep her shinning bright!
How does nature move you to be thankful?

Day 7: Friendship
I am grateful for so many friendships. I am most thankful for having many different TYPES of friendships throughout my life. You know the saying A Reason, A Season, or A Lifetime. I have met so many people who fall into each of these categories.
Those I have learned from, those I have taught or helped, those that saw me through the bad, or those that helped me celebrate the good. Friends who just "get you", military friends (who are a very special bunch), childhood friends, new friends, old friends. I am grateful for you ALL, especially my BEST FRIENDS!
Today I am particularly thankful to those friends who helped us celebrate our baby girls first birthday. This was such a bitter sweet celebration for us. Our baby turning one, but also the first birthday that her birthday buddy (her grandpa) would be spending it in heaven. We shared a lemon cake for you today dad! Hope you were smiling down on us.
Thank you to all who helped us celebrate. We hope your bellies were as full as our hearts!!!

Day 8: Mentor
So its been a crazy weekend but I wanted to be sure to stay on track with my days of thanks. I, like I'm sure most of you, have had many mentors or people Ive looked up to or been inspired by throughout my lifetime.
One that is sticking out a lot in my mind of who helped make me the person I am, on this journey that Im on is my previous boss. The Pastor of the church where I was director of a daycare.
I was so optimistic and enthusiastic going into the job. So very happy that I got the job and ready to make it the best place it could be. But like many things in life, that task wasn't as easy as I hoped. Sometimes hard work and wanting something just isn't enough. I learned so many lessons about being a boss, motivating others, and about myself while working there.
One conversation in particular that stands out in my mind with the Pastor (while he was doing what I called "Pastoring Me") left such a huge impact on me. He was doing what he as a Pastor does best, and seemed so natural for him. He was also doing his job as my boss in motivating me. But on a human to human level this particular conversation really touched me and taught me a lot about not giving up. I often think back to this conversation when things get hard and Im grateful for God placing this man in my life and teaching me this lesson through him.
I'm extra sleepy tonight so, Goodnight all!

Day 9: Gift
Blessed by so many gifts in my lifetime! The gift of life (mine, my children's, my family & friends). Gift of time & friendship. Monetary gifts. Gift of love. Gift of material items. Far too many to name.
I want to express gratitude today to one person in particular today. My sister Noelle. She has given me so many gifts over the years. Its not the gifts themselves but the loving sentiment behind them. She is always sending, buying, making some little thing (or sometimes big) for me or my girls just to show her love & let us know she's thinking of us. And the love is SO felt. She always makes me feel so special & I am so thankful for her & all the gifts she gives, most of all her love!

Day 10: Relationship
There are so many relationships to be thankful for throughout my life. I am truly thankful for every relationship I've made/had throughout my life, even the not so good ones, because each has made me who I am. Relationships that ended soon after they began, or those who hurt me along the way....they were all just stepping stones and lesson for me along the way of life to bring me where I am today.
I am particularly thankful for the relationship with my parents. I am so very grateful for their love and guidance as they brought us up. I am thankful for the lessons they taught and the sacrifices they made. I am also thankful for the beautiful friendship we have now as I am an adult child and they grandparents to my beautiful blessings. They are such incredible grandparents and my girls are truly blessed to have them in their lives. I thank God for them everyday and I know there will never be enough days on this Earth with them so I am trying my best to soak up every one!!!!

Day 11: Freedom
There are so many freedoms to be grateful for as an American. Of course on Veteran's Day most of us reflect on those who sacrifice so much to ensure our freedoms. I am thankful for all Veterans, especially my husband.

I am most grateful for the freedom to be me! I am thankful I can be who I am, love whom I chose, celebrate what my heart believes.

Day 12: Talent
I am thankful for the talent of MUSIC. Music has played such an important role in my life.. From dancing, to playing instruments, to Marching Band, to being the sound track to my life and the memories I attach to the songs that touch my heart. I don't know who Id be without music. It truly has shaped who I am. I thank God for this talent in my life and will try harder to use this talent to praise his name!

Day 13: Courage

Day 14: Faith
When people think of the word "faith" the often perceive it to be interchangeable with the word "religion." Although my religion is a big part of my faith, it is not all inclusive.
I am very grateful for my faith in God and Jesus. Im grateful for what my faith in them has brought to my life. But there are many other faiths that I am thankful for as well. I am thankful for the faith that my husband and children put in me, the faith that I had put in my by hundreds of parents as I taught their children, and the faith that my many employers have put in me over the years.
But on this day I am most thankful for the times I was able to find faith in myself. I hope I can continue to have faith in myself and to soar higher and be better than I could ever imagine.

Day 15: Unexpected
Sometimes in life the things we want the most tend to just happen once we stop "looking" for them. Many, many years ago a much more shy, confused, insecure, and already beautifully broken version of myself wondered if the vision of "love" I had for myself was in His plans for me. I took a big leap of faith during this time and decided to stay living in a state where I literally knew NOT ONE PERSON; I didn't have a single friend.
I, to the surprise of many who knew me, decided that I was going to blindly take a leap of faith and stay living in Georgia to focus on discovering myself again. I was in my mid 20's at this time and somehow had lost my sense of self over the years as I came into adulthood. I put too much of my self worth and defined who I was by who I was with at the time. So then as I found myself on my own I realized I didn't know who I was anymore.
I was just trying to make it through life at this point, I wasn't expecting anything from life but I received everything. It was at this time that a very special man came into my life. It was the least likely time for me. In fact, I even pushed him away to a certain extent in the beginning. I felt I was too broken and lost to share my life with anyone else. But I learned that in allowing someone to get to know you, you can too get to know yourself. I found that I was not only willing but wanting to share intimate details about who I was and what I wanted from life. Details I shy away from sharing with anyone else.
It was one of the most unexpected gifts Ive received in life. A gift that continues to surprise me every day & one I hope to never lose!

Day 16: Selfless
Grateful for my parents & their selflessness. They are amazing parents & grandparents. They are truly irreplaceable in my life. They not only sacrificed so much as they raised 6 children, but they continue to selflessly give & sacrifice for their adult children & all their grandchildren. I know I don't say thank you hardly enough but I am so grateful for all they do.

Day 17: Hardship
The past few years have been difficult ones for us: losing far too many loved ones, dealing with injuries & health issues, losing ourselves, monetary trials, stress, etc, & the toll all this puts on our bodies.
But all this has shown us how strong we are for ourselves, our children, & mostly for each other!
The Yin & the Yang. There are no ups without the downs. My love, I'll remain by your side through whatever else life throws at us.

Day 18: Rest
This is a hard one for me because I feel like I never get enough rest lately. This chronic fatigue has definitely taken a toll on my body in some big ways and many little ways.
From not being able to work out much and having pain, to my brain not being fully on tract I see the effects daily. For example, just yesterday I was making myself a quick bowl of pasta (gluten free of course) and I, as every good italian, wanted to put some parmesan cheese on it. I had my bottle of water and cheese sitting on the table in front of me and sure enough I grabbed the water and poured it on top of my pasta. I instantly knew that wasn't right but it took my body several seconds to react.
But, today is about gratefulness not hatefulness, so I am thankful that I am able to take this time in my life to slow down and focus on my health. Its still not easy but it could be a lot harder with other circumstances. I am also grateful for the early mornings like this. Although I am not resting in the typical sense (AKA sleep) this morning time alone with my thoughts and my creator is restful for my soul. It gives me the pick me up I need to face the day ahead even when Im running low on physical energy, my spiritual and mentally energy carry me through.

Day 19: Triumph
I truly hope that my greatest triumphs have yet to come, one being this journey Im on.
Like all things success, or triumphs, are all in the eye of the beholder. I am fighting the urge to defend or explain my triumphs that come to mind feeling that many would not consider them a triumph. But what really matters is that YOU consider it to be a triumph for your own self.
Everyone deserves to feel that feeling of accomplishment, pride no matter how small or how big the trial is.
So just a few that come to my mind that have made a big impact on my life: Living on my own in a state I knew not a single sole, moving many times and maintain a mostly sane demeanor, getting in really good shape in between having my two oldest, fighting and coming out better a very dark & depressed time in my life, and last but certainly NOT least - maintaining a mostly good outlook (there will always be more difficult days) on this journey and keeping WHY Im on this journey in my mind and my goal I WILL achieve in sight!
Think of the triumphs throughout your life. Sometimes the ones that seem so small to others may have had the greatest impact on you and your life. Be proud and celebrate no matter how small you might think they are. Hugs and love to all

Day 20: Confronting Fear
Oh how I have come SUCH a long way from the little girl who was so timid and afraid everything. I remember shying away from so many thing I WANTED to do as a young girl because I was TOO AFRAID. Things I felt I would enjoy if I could only push myself past the fear. Mostly, I would just shy away and miss out.
The first BIG decision I made in confronting a fear lead to so many other fears Ive faced and overcome and ALL of the most wonderful things in my life. I talked a few days ago briefly about how I decided to stay in GA after the breakup of an old relationship. I was so young and insecure at the time, my mid 20's.
I moved there basically because of the relationship I was in, but that quickly fell apart and I was left thinking "what the heck do I do now?" Lost, scared, insecure, and unsure of who I really was; I took a huge leap of faith mustering up every bit of courage I had to stay and be independent and COMPLETELY ON MY OWN. If you ever have some free time on your hands and want to hear some funny stories of a truly sheltered young girl suddenly living in the "real world" hit me up, I have plenty! lol I truly didn't realize just how sheltered a life I had lead until this point in my life. Side note - Im so very grateful for that though!!!!
But that first HUGE step of facing a big fear lead me to meeting Frank. Which then I had to face another fear - committing to a relationship. My previous relationship was with a nice boy, yes a boy - we were both so young, but neither of us was secure enough in ourselves to have a good relationship with each other. I was so concerned for 6 years with trying to be who I thought he wanted that I lost who I was. And yes 6 years - you can see that was basically my entire adult life.
I was scared of what could be so I pulled away a bit when I first met Frank. Lucky for me when Frank sees something he wants he goes ALL IN and he stayed persistent. I surrendered my fears and gave in to my heart. It was a whirlwind love affair and I fell hard fast. All along the way remembering the saying "the higher you climb, the longer the fall!" But in finding myself and loving someone who loved me just for who I was I became more secure and Frank has ever since been my reminder that its ok to put myself out there to do things I may be scared of. Thats not to say that I face every fear I have, but he has helped me face so many!
I always say that Frank is the wings that keeps my soul flying, and I am the anchor that keeps him grounded! We balance each other so well in that aspect. Sometime ONE BIG leap of faith can unravel SO MUCH goodness in your life.
So don't be afraid to put yourself out there. Be it a job, a relationship, or anything else in your life. Face your fears one at a time, be forgiving when you find a fear you're not ready to face, and love yourself along the way! Have a Fabulous Friday everyone!

Day 21: Teacher
I am so thankful for being able to be a teacher for the years I was & for being my children's constant teacher, but most of all I am grateful for the wonderful teachers I got to work with along the way and the things they have taught me.
I have worked with SO MANY wonderful teachers throughout the years and I have learned something from each and every one of them. Today though I am going to name four teachers in particular that really inspired and helped me along the way.
Thank you Susan, Beth, Marie, and Kami.
Some of them worked with me up close in a mentoring manner, others were just a genuine beam of light in my life and a constant good example of a great teacher, while others probably don't even know they inspired me because it was more of a from a far inspiration; I watched and admired their teaching from afar and gained a lot of respect for their knowledge and compassion they brought to the table. Either category they fall in to, they all impacted me in a great way and I want to say "Thank You" for being you, for being an incredible teacher, a caring person, and for allowing me to share a small place in your life!
What teacher has made a difference in your life?

Day 22: Unique Characteristic
I don't know how unique it is but something that definitely makes me...well ME, is my love, desire, drive to care for and help others. Its one side of me no matter how insecure Ive been or how down on myself I get that Im always proud of.

Day 23:

Day 24: Empathy
I am thankful for the existence of empathy, it is so powerful!
I am grateful that my girls are learning to be empathetic people, it truly makes my heart swell when I see it in them!
But at this particular time in my life I am most grateful for those who have tried to show me empathy in my journey! Empathy is such a powerful thing, but it is not always easy. It is especially difficult when you don't have a true frame of understanding what someone else is going through.
For example- if someone loses a loved one & you've experienced a loss of a loved one, you have a reference to be empathetic because you can draw from your own experiences & emotions.
Where empathy becomes most difficult, & ironically most important too, is when you do not have a frame of reference; someone is experiencing something you truly know nothing about.

Day 25: Compassion ~This is dedicated to my Father-in-law who passed away one year ago today!
I have been very fortunate to have been surrounded by so many compassionate people throughout my life. Today I want to share the spirit of one in particular, my father-in-law To say he was a unique individual is quite the understatement. But for all his quirks, and even what some would call short comings, there was not a soul who knows him who wasn't touched by his compassion and kind heart. He had one of the biggest hearts of anyone I've ever known.
He definitely had his quirks and was often set in his ways. These things could drive you crazy at times, but it was these quirks that made him have a special kind of perspective in compassion. He saw things that most others didn't and went out of his way to make you feel special. The best gift this man ever gave me was kind words…words of praise and gratitude. The greatest thing my father-in-law ever did for me was to tell me that he was grateful for me in his life and that he thought I was a good wife and mother. Those words still echo in my ears on difficult days and I try to feel his spirit watching down on me, reminding myself that I want to continue to make him proud.
I am reminded of him and his compassion every day in his only son, my husband, and our daughters. We all miss you EVERY SINGLE DAY. But I promise you this…I will every day of my life try to be that wife and mother and woman that you saw me as. "Classy and Sassy" he'd always say, "the best combination!" I honestly can't believe its been a whole year without you. I love you dad! I miss you, until we embrace again.

No comments:

Post a Comment